South African Blood Lily Haemanthus Coccineus
A gorgeous and exoticly moonscape looking flowering bulb from South Africa.
A flowering bulb native to South Africa.
Gorgeous and relatively rare to obtain, the blood lily has amazing fleshy wide leaves and early autumn scarlet ‘paint brush’ like flowers. Easy to grow, slow to multiply.
Plant your Haemanthus only halfway up the body of the bulb into your soil, they will perform better.
Free draining soil.
- Full sun.
- Requires afternoon shade, prefers filtered sunlight.
- High wind tolerant.
- Medium wind tolerant.
- Will manage frosts to -3C.
- Will manage a very light frost to -1C.
- Requires little moisture and is drought tolerant.
- Manages coastal conditions well. Salt spray will cause minimal marking.