Sago Palm Cycad revoluta
The common name is confusing for some because this is not a palm, but New Zealand’s most widely used cycad.
Native to southern Japan.
Long, erect glossy dark green leaves form a rosette on a stem. The sago palm is very long lived and the most popular member of the cycad family. This is a stunning specimen plant.
With it’s strong good looks, the sago works itself seamlessly into the minimalist garden and the formal garden as well as being an integral part of the subtropical garden. Very hardy.
- Full sun.
- High wind tolerant.
- Will manage frosts to -3C.
- Grows to a height of 1 metres (approx).
- Requires little moisture and is drought tolerant.
- Manages coastal conditions well. Salt spray will cause minimal marking.
- Enjoys a sheltered courtyard situation for mature tree size.
- Happy with life in a pot