Hippeastrum / Indoor Plants Subtropical Plants
These plants can be grown outdoors only in mild frost-free areas.
For frost prone areas they can be grown indoors in pots, or as greenhouse or conservatory plants. They will do best in a bright but not in an overly sunny position in moist, well-drained, humus-rich soil.
The large bulbs should be planted with the neck of the bulb exposed above soil level. They are quite water & nutrient demanding while in growth, so ensure that they receive ample water and nutrients at this time.
Keep in a cool, dry place in winter while plant is in its winter dormancy.
- Prefers full sun, but will tolerate part shade.
- Prefers some shade, but will tolerate full sun.
- Low wind tolerant.
- Won’t tolerate frosts.
- Grows to a height of 60 centimetres (approx).
- Excellent indoor palm.
- Requires little moisture and is drought tolerant.
- Tolerates coastal conditions, including salt spray.