Native to the Lebombo Mountains of South Africa, this is a medium to large green leaved Encephalartos cycad with stems which can grow to 4 m long. It is often procumbent with a crown of light to dark green, glossy leaves. It grows singly or in clumps of up to eight stems and forms numerous suckers from the base and occasional offsets on the trunks.
It is considered one of the most popular cycads in cultivation.
- Full sun.
- Medium wind tolerant.
- Will manage a very light frost to -1C.
- Grows to a height of 2 metres (approx).
- Requires little moisture and is drought tolerant.
- Manages coastal conditions well. Salt spray will cause minimal marking.
- Enjoys a sheltered courtyard situation for mature tree size.
- Excellent specimen for covered courtyard.
- Happy with life in a pot
- Prefers a warm temperature.